Yorkton is named for York, Ontario, by the early settlers from Ontario.
Location: Yorkton is located in the southeast part of the Province.
Judicial District: Yorkton Judicial District
Courthouse – Yorkton
Location: 29 Darlington Street / 3rd Avenue North
Built: 1919 – 1921
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: Maurice William Sharon of Regina
Description: The building faces south and is a two story Tyndall Stone with Claybank brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the centre of Yorkton. The south front of the building has a central entrance on the first story framed with stone and with a curved projection with frieze above. The east and west corner sections project from the main building and are faced with stone. The second story windows are arched. A cornice runs below the roof line which has a raised parapet. The roof line is flat. The building was renovated in 2014. The contractor was CCR Construction of Regina.
Note: The building is one of a series of courthouses designed by the office of the provincial architect. Several towns and cities were designated as judicial centres where court houses would be built.
Note: The first courthouse was a wood frame building built in 1903. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $135,649. The subcontractors were Dominion Bridge ( steelwork ), Whiteford Brothers of Regina ( plumbing ) and Western Manufacturing Company ( millwork ).
Photos taken 2012 and 2013