Assiniboia is named for the aboriginal name for the region and means “one who cooks with stones”.
Location: Assiniboia is located in the south central part of the Province.
Judicial District: Moose Jaw Judicial District
Courthouse – Assiniboia
Location: 700 Centre Street / Empire Road
Built: 1929 – 1930
Style: Georgian Revival / Colonial Revival
Architect: Maurice William Sharon of Regina
Contractor: J L Guay Construction Company of Gravelbourg
Description: The building faces north and is a two story buff coloured brick and limestone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The brick is from Estevan and the limestone is Tyndall Stone. The building sits on spacious landscaped grounds. The north front has a central entrance on the first story with white coloured wood columns and framing. Above the entrance is a small wrought iron balcony. The eaves extend from the building and the roof is hipped. The building no longer functions as a courthouse and has been converted to a residence.
Note: The Assiniboia Court House is the last building in the series of smaller, prototypical designs to be constructed and did not receive a cupola element as the central feature of the roof. The cost of construction of the courthouse was $56,400.
Note: The building is one of a series of courthouses designed by the office of the provincial architect. Several towns and cities were designated as judicial centres where court houses would be built.
Note: The Provincial Court is held at the Prince of Wales Cultural & Recreational Centre at 201 3rd Avenue West 1st Street West
Photos taken 2013