Gravelbourg is named for Father Louis-Joseph-Pierre Gravel, who was a francophone missionary and colonizer, who settled in the town.
Location: Gravelbourg is located in the south central part of the Province.
Judicial District: Moose Jaw Judicial District
Courthouse – Gravelbourg
Location: 209 Main Street / 3rd Avenue
Built: 1926 – 1927
Style: Georgian Revival / Colonial Revival
Architect: Maurice William Sharon of Regina
Contractor: Smith Brothers ( Duncan D Smith and Donald D Smith ) and John Wilson
Description: The building faces west and is a two story buff coloured brick structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The west front has a central entrance on the first story with white coloured wood columns and framing. Above the entrance is a small wrought iron balcony. The eaves extend from the building and the roof is hipped. A parapet rises from the roof above the west entrance. On the centre of the roof is a small white coloured square cupola. The courtroom is located on the second story on the west side. The building no longer functions as a courthouse but now houses the city offices
Note: The building is one of a series of courthouses designed by the office of the provincial architect. Several towns and cities were designated as judicial centres where court houses would be built. The cost of construction of the courthouse was $44,200.
Photos taken 2013