Bullock County is named for Edward Bullock, who was a Colonel from Barbour County.
Created: December 5, 1866
Union Springs 1867 – present
County Courthouse – Union Springs
Location: 217 North Prairie Street / Conecuh Avenue
Built: 1871 – 1872
Style: Second Empire
Architect: M M Tye
Contractor: M M Tye
Description: The building faces east and is a three story red colored brick structure. On the east front is a recessed porch supported by two large columns rising two stories with a balcony at the top with two round windows. On the north and south sides are large square brick towers with arched windows on the second and third stories and with mansard roofs. On the south side is a one story wing. The building was renovated in 1992 and the architect was Goodwyn, Mills & Carwood, and the contractor was Construction Consultants. Behind the courthouse is the old two story brick jail.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Bullock County Courthouse Historic District
Photos taken 2009 and 2010