Russell County

US States / A-G / Alabama / Russell County
Russell

Russell County is named for Gilbert C Russell, who was an officer during the Creek War.

 

Created:  December 18, 1832

County Seat:        

Crawford     1832 – 1866

Seale          1866 – 1935

Phenix City  1935 – present

 

County Justice Building – Phenix City

 

Location:  501 14th Street / Broad Street

Built:  1938 – 1939

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  James J W Biggers

Contractor:  Murphey Pound

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The north front has a porch with four large columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The center section rises above the east and west wings which have flat roofs. An addition was added to the east side in 1949. The architect was James J W Biggers & Associates and the contractor was J D Stillwell. The building was renovated in 2010. The contractor was Denson Construction of Columbus, Georgia.

 

County Government Building – Phenix City

 

0240a10

 

Location:  1000 Broad Street / Dillingham Street

Built:  Unknown

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The west front has a projecting central portico rising to a green colored roof. The first story windows are arched. A wide cream colored band runs along the roof line. The building was formerly the Mead Building and was converted in 2007 to 2008 into the Russell County Government Center. The architect was Mike Hamrick of Goodwyn Mills Cawood and the contractor was Ben B Gordy Construction.

 

Old County Courthouse – Seale

 

0268a10

 

Location:  Courthouse Square

Built:  1871 – 1872

Style:  Greek Revival

Architect:  John Lewis

Contractor:  Simeon O’Neal

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a three story red colored brick structure. The building is located on spacious grounds. The west front has a large portico with four white colored columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. Above the windows are stone headers. The roof is hipped. The building was enlarged in 1908 with an assition on the east side. The architect was Frank Lockwood and the contractor was E C Seiz.

 

Courthouses: 

 Lee County

E – Muscogee County, Georgia, Chattahoochee County, Georgia and Stewart County, Georgia

S – Barbour County

W – Bullock County and Macon County

                       

 

 

0255a10

 

 

0251a10

 

 

0252a10

 

 

0254a10

 

 

0256a10

 

 

0257a10

 

 

0258a10

 

 

0259a10

 

 

0241a10

 

 

0242a10

 

 

0243a10

 

 

0266a10

 

 

0267a10

 

 

0269a10

 

 

0270a10

 

 

0271a10

 

 

0272a10

 

 

0273a10

 

 

0274a10

Photos taken 2010