Pike County is named for Zebulon Pike, who was the discoverer of Pikes Peak, and who lived from 1779 to 1813.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
E – Barbour County
W – Crenshaw County
Created: December 17, 1821
Louisville 1821 – 1827
Monticello 1827 – 1837
Troy 1837 – present
County Courthouse – Troy
Location: 120 West Church Street / Elm Street
Built: 1951 – 1952
Architect: Hinch, Lersead & Crump
Contractor: J S Curry
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Troy. On the east front is a projecting center section with stone facing and black colored stone trim forming three square arches at the entrance located in the center of the east front. Above the black colored stone is the clock. The roof is hipped. The main courtroom is located on the first story and there are two small courtrooms on the second story. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the 12th Judicial Circuit and the County Distric Court and County Probate Court.. The architect was Hinch, Lersead & Crump and the contractor was J S Curry. The building was renovated in 2001.
County Judicial Building – Troy
Location: 1820 Highway 3 / Dunbar Drive
Built: 2021 – 2023
Architect: JMR+H Architecture of Montgomery
Contractor: TCU Consulting Services of Montgomey and Bear Brothers Construction, Inc. of Montgomery
Description: The building faces southeast and is a two story brick, glass, steel and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds to the north of the center of Troy. The building contains four courtrooms. The building is under construction and is to be completed in 2023.
See: The 12th Judicial Circuit includes Coffee County.
History: The county was created in 1821 and Louisville ( which is now in Barbour County ) was selected as the county seat. The first court met at the home of Andrew Townsend in Louisville. The county seat was moved to Monticello in 1827 and the first courthouse was a log structure built in 1828 and later torn down in 1839. The county seat was moved in 1837 to Troy, known as Deer Stand Hill. The court met in local stores until the second courthouse was built in 1837. The courthouse was torn down in 1880 and replaced by an opera house which was also torn down at a later date. The third courthouse was a brick two story structure designed by Ferris and constructed by Joseph Minchener built in 1880 to 1881 and expanded in 1898. The architect was R L Jones and the contractor was McAfee & Company. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1951 to 1952. The County Judicial Building was constructed in 2021 to 2023.
County Courthouse – Troy
County Judicial Building ( under construction ) – Troy
Photos taken 2009, 2020 and 2023