Barbour County is named for James Barbour, who was a Governor of the State of Virginia.
Created: December 18, 1832
Clayton 1832 – present
County Courthouse – Clayton
Location: 113 Court Square / Midway Street
Built: 1960 – 1961
Architect: Carl Herbert Lancaster Jr.
Contractor: Mid-South Construction Inc.
Description: The building faces east and is a three story buff colored brick, glass and concrete structure. On the east front is a projecting enclosed porch with dark glass walls. Above the porch are three windows. Behind is a gray colored stone facade with buff colored brick covering the rest of the building. The roof line is flat.
Note: The previous courthouse was built in 1854 and remodeled in 1924.
County Courthouse – Eufaula
Location: 303 East Broad Street / North Orange Avenue
Built: 1923 – 1924
Style: French Renaissance
Architect: Shields-Guice Lumber Company of Dawson, Georgia
Contractor: Shields-Guice Lumber Company of Dawson, Georgia
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick structure. The center section on the north has a porch with four high brick pillars and four columns along the recessed wall. Along the roof are dormers. The roof is sloped. The building was renovated in 1986. The architect was Blondheim & Mixon, Inc. and the contractor was Anderson Construction Company of Fort Gaines, Georgia.
Note: The City of Eufaula contributed $15,000 toward construction costs, and the Board of Revenue awarded a building contract of $34,958.52 to Shields-Guice Lumber Company of Dawson, Georgia. A heating-system contract was let to Walter Denison of Columbus, Georgia.
Photos taken 2010