Butler County

US States / A-G / Alabama / Butler County
Butler

Butler County is named for William Butler, who was born in Virginia and who fought in the Creek War and was killed in 1818.

 

Created:  December 13, 1819

County Seat:

Fort Dale   1819 – 1822

Greenville  1822 – present

 

County Courthouse – Greenville

 

Location:  700 Courthouse Square / Conecuh Street

Built:  1903 – 1904

Style:  Romanesque Revival

Architect:  B B Smith

Contractor:  Dobson & Bynum

 

Description:  The building  faces west and is a two story red colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The building is located on the landscaped grounds of Courthouse Square in the center of Greenville. The west front has a portico on the first story supported by six columns. The front of the first story is faced with stone. Above the entrance rises a five story clock tower having a balcony around the fifth story and a red dome at the top. On the north and south sides are three sided projections. The courthouse was first constructed in 1871 and completely remodeled in 1903 to 1904. The building was renovated in 1971. The architect was C H Lancaster, Jr. of Montgomery and the contractor was Andalusia Development Company of Andalusia.

 

History:  The first county seat was Fort Dale. In 1822, the county seat was moved to Greenville and the first courthouse was designed by A G Smith and John K Hardy and constructed by Brockman W Henderson. The courthouse burned in 1853 and the second courthouse was built. In 1871, the third courthouse was built by D T McCall and M Wimberly. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1903 to 1904.

 

Courthouses: 

– Wilcox County and Lowndes County

E – Crenshaw County

S – Covington County, Monroe County and Conecuh County

W – Conecuh County and Wilcox County 

 

 

 

1657f09

County Courthouse – Greenville

 

 

1658f09

 

 

1660f09

 

 

1661f09

 

 

514g20

 

 

517g20

 

 

1662f09

 

 

509g20

Photos taken 2009 and 2020