Macon County is named for Nathaniel Macon, who was a United States legislator from North Carolina.
Created: December 18, 1832
Tuskegee 1832 – present
County Courthouse – Tuskegee
Location: 101 East Rosa Parks Avenue / North Main Street
Built: 1905– 1906
Style: Richardsonian Romanesque
Architect: James Wingfield Golucke & Company of Atlanta, Georgia
Contractor: C G Totherow & Company of Birmingham
Description: The building faces southeast and is a three story buff colored brick and stone structure. The southeast front has a high seven story square brick clock tower with steep roof. At the top of the tower are gargoyles. There are octagonal towers on either side of the clock tower. On the west side is a three arched potico. The building overlooks the town square.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1833 in the center of the town square. The next courthouse was designed by Charles Ordeman and built in 1853. The present courthouse was constructed for a cost of $42,000 and was completed in November 1906.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Macon County Courthouse
S – Bullock County
Photos taken 2009