Clarke County is named for John Clarke, who was a Governor of the State of Georgia.
Created: December 10, 1812
Grove Hill 1812 – present
County Courthouse – Grove Hill
Location: 114 Court Street / Clark Street
Built: 1955 – 1956
Style: Classical Revival style
Architect: Charles H McCauley
Contractor: S J Curry & Company
Description: The building faces east and is a two story dark red colored brick and concrete structure. The east front has a portico supported by four columns rising to a pediment at the top of the second story. The central section behind the portico is gray concrete with a peaked roof line. Two wide horizontal concrete bands run above the vertical windows which are narrow. There are north and south wings with stone trimmed entrances. The most southerly wing extends eastwards. In 2007, an addition was constructed. The architect was P H & J Architects and the contractor was Consolidated Construction.
Note: The previous courthouse was built in 1899.
N – Marengo County
Photos taken 2009