Montgomery County is named for Lemuel P Montgomery, who was a Major during the Creek War.
Created: December 6, 1816
Montgomery 1816 – present
Old County Courthouse – Montgomery
Location: 100 South Lawrence Street / Washington Avenue
Built: 1956 – 1958
Architect: Pearson Title and Narrow
Contractor: Bear Brothers, Inc.
Description: The building faces east and is a three story buff colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The east side has a projecting section faced with brown colored stone and recessed entrance on the first story. There is concrete grill work along the east side. The north section extends west with a projecting section with recessed first story towards the east end. There are horizontal windows with vertical concrete dividers. The roof line is flat. The building was renovated from 1988 to 1990.
See: The contractor, Bear Brothers, Inc. also constructed the courthouse in Chilton County.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Charles C Oredeman and built in 1854. The building was enlarged in 1894.
County Courthouse – Montgomery
Location: 251 South Lawrence Street / Adams Avenue
Built: 1985 – 1987
Architect: Pearson Humphries Jones & Associates.
Description: The building faces west and is a four story buff colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The west front has a one story projecting entrance on the north side. Above the portico are a series of four framed windows on each story. The center section projects from the main building and has no windows. The roof line is flat. The building is named as the Phelps-Price Justice Center.
See: The Alabama Supreme Court – Court of Appeal is located in Montgomery County.
W – Lowndes County
Old County Courthouse
Photos taken 2010, 2014 and 2018