Jim Wells County

US States / O-U / Texas / Jim Wells County
1361T14

Jim Wells County is named for James Babbage Wells Jr., who was a politician in southern Texas.

Created:  March 11, 1911

County Seat: 

Alice  1911 – present

 

County Courthouse – Alice  

Location:  200 North Almond Street / East 2nd Street

Built:  1912 – 1913

Style:  Texas Renaissance

Architect:  Atlee B Ayres of San Antonio

Contractor:  The Bailey Mills Company

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story brownish colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The south has a projecting central section with recessed porch with two columns on the first story and wide header above. Two brick pilasters rise to the roof line. A wide cornice runs above the second story windows. On the roof is a large octagonal cupola with dome. The roof is hipped. The courtroom is located on the second story and the Commissions Court is located on the first story. Additions on the east and west sides were built in 1948 and completed in 1949. The architect was Addis E Noonan.

 

See:  The architect, Atlee B Ayres of San Antonio, also designed courthouses in Cameron CountyKleberg County and  Refugio County.

 

Note:  The courthouse is the first and only courthouse constructed in the County.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Live Oak County and San Patrico County

E – San Patrico County, Nueces County and Kleberg County 

S – Brooks County 

W – Duval County 

 

 

 

1364t14

County Courthouse

 

 

2476t19

 

 

1363t14

 

 

1362t14

 

 

1366t14

 

 

1367t14

 

 

1370t14

 

 

1372t14

 

 

2486t19

 

 

2487t19

 

 

2488t19

 

 

2489t19

 

 

2490t19

 

 

2491t19

 

 

2492t19

 

 

2493t19

 

 

2494t19

 

 

2495t19

 

 

2496t19

 

 

2497t18

 

 

2498t19

 

 

1374t14

 

 

2499t19

Photos taken 2014 and 2019