Brooks County

US States / O-U / Texas / Brooks County
1425T14

Brooks County is named for James Abijah Brooks, who was a Texas Ranger and a legislator.

 

Created:  March 11, 1911

County Seat: 

Falfurrias  1911 – present

 

County Courthouse – Falfurrias  

 

Location:  117 East Miller Street / South Saint Marys Street

Built:  1913 – 1914

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  Alfred Giles

Contractor:  Westlake & Mitzell

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a three story brown colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious grounds in the center of the city. The east front has a large recessed porch with four columns rising to a wide header at the roof line. The windows are arched on the second story. The third story windows are small. The roof line is flat. The courtroom is located on the second story. The building was restored in 2010. The architect was Mark Whitmore of Corpus Christi and the contractor was J C Stoddard Construction Company of San Antonio.  To the northeast is the County Blumer Building.

 

Note:  The courthouse is the first and only courthouse in the County, The cost of construction was $55,000.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Duval County, Jim Wells County and Kleberg County

E – Kleberg County and Kenedy County

S – Hildalgo County and Starr County 

W – Jim Hogg County

 

 

 

1428t14

County Courthouse

 

 

1426t14

 

 

1424t14

 

 

1427t14

 

 

z

 

 

1430t14

 

 

2558t19

 

 

2559t19

 

 

2560t19

 

 

2561t19

 

 

2562t19

 

 

2563t19

 

 

2564t19

 

 

2565t19

 

 

2566t19

 

 

2567t19

 

 

2568t19

 

 

2569t19

 

 

2570t19

 

 

2571t19

 

 

2572t19

 

 

2573t19

 

 

2574t19

 

 

1434t14

 

 

1435t14

County Blumer Building

Photos taken 2014 and 2019