Live Oak County is named for the Texas Live Oak under which a petition was signed for a new county.
Created: February 2, 1856
Oakville 1856 – 1880
George West 1880 – present
County Courthouse – George West
Location: 204 Bowie Street / San Marcos Street
Built: 1919 – 1920
Style: Texas Renaissance
Architect: Alfred Gilles
Contractor: Brashear Construction Company
Description: The building faces north and is a three story brown colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The north front has a high porch supported by six large white colored columns with recessed entrance and windows. A white colored horizontal band runs above the columns with a projecting cornice above, and the third story above that with small windows on the east and west ends. White colored trim runs along the roof line. The building was remodeled in 1986. The architect was McCord & Lorenze of Corpus Christie and the contractor was Aslan Corporation of Corpus Christie. The building was further renovated from 1988 to 1992. The architect was McCord & Lorenze of Corpus Christie and the contractor from 1988 to 1991 was Harbor Construction Company and the contractor in 1992 was Ewing Construction Company, Inc. In 1956, a modern one story annex was constructed to the west of the courthouse in 1956. The architect was Wyatt C Hedrick. The jail was moved to a new building constructed in 1962 and attached to the southeast corner of the courthouse.
Note: The first courthouse was built in Oakville by Joseph Bartlett in 1857. In 1879 to 1880, a second story was built by John Tompson. The second courthouse was built in Oakville in 1888 and demolished in 1938 to 1940. The 1885 jail was restored in 2007 and sits in a park in Oakville.
W – McMullen County
Photos taken 2009