Nueces County is named for the Spanish word for “nuts” as the early explores noted numerous pecan trees along the river banks.
Created: April 18, 1846
Corpus Christi 1846 – present
County Courthouse – Corpus Christi
Location: 901 Leopard Street / North Carrizo Street
Built: 1974 – 1977
Architect: Symth & Smyth, Kipp & Winston, Wisznia & Peterson and Bennett, Martin & Solka
Contractor: Anchor Constructors, Inc.
Description: The building faces north and is a ten story pink colored concrete and steel Modern style structure. The building is loctaed on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The first two stories extend out from the building and have vertical pillars dividing the exterior into sections. The main tower rises in the center and has crescent sides with rounded concrete corner sections.
Old County Courthouse – Corpus Christi
Location: 1101 Mesquite Street / Belden Street
Built: 1914 – 1915
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Harvey L Page
Contractor: Gordon Kreuger Construction Company
Description: The building faces south and is a four story brown colored brick structure. The building is located on spacious grounds in the center of the city to the north of the courthouse. The north front has a large porch with four high columns with recessed entrance. Above the columns are four large figures with pediment at the roof line. On the south side is a west and east wing with slightly projecting end sections with two columns. The roof is hipped. The building served until 1977 and now stands abandoned.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1840. The second courthouse was a two story structure built in 1856. The third courthouse was a two story structure built in 18877. The fourth courthouse was constructed in 1914 and stands abandoned. The fifth courthouse was constructed in 1977 at a cost of $20,000,000.
E – Gulf of Mexico
S – Kleberg County
W – Jim Wells County
Old County Courthouse
Photos taken 2006 and 2014