Cameron County

US States / O-U / Texas / Cameron County
1518T14

Cameron County is named for Ewen Cameron, who was a soldier during the Texas Revolution and who was named Sir Ewen Cameron of Loch.

 

Created:  February 12, 1848

County Seat: 

Santa Rita    1848

Brownsville  1848 – present

 

County Courthouse – Brownsville

 

Location:  1100 East Monroe Street / East 11th Street

Built:  1911 – 1912

Style:  Texas Renaissance

Architect:  Atlee B Ayres of San Antonio

Contractor:   Gross Construction Company of Dallas

 

Description:  The building faces northeast and is a four story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious grounds in the center of the city. The northeast front has a projecting center porch with three openings on the first story and four columns rising from the second floor to the top of the third story. A wide horizontal cornice runs below the fourth story. The roof line is flat. There is an interior rotunda with art-glass dome.The building is named as the Oscar C Dancy Building. The building was renovated in 2006. The architect was Roberto J Ruiz, Architect, Inc. and the contractor was Joe R Jones Construction Inc.

 

Note:  The cost of construction of the courthouse was $250,000. The cost of restoration of the courthouse was $15,300,000 upon completion in 2006.

 

See:  The architect, Atlee B Ayres of San Antonio, also designed courthouses in Jim Wells CountyKleberg County and  Refugio County.

 

County Judicial Building – Brownsville

 

1506t14

 

Location:  974 East Harrison Street / East 10th Street

Built:  1976 – 1978

Style:  Modern

Architect:  SHWC Inc. ( Swanson, Heister, Wilson & Claycomb ) of Brownsville

Contractor:  Donald D Ferguson, Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story cream colored concrete structure. The building is located in the center of the city to the north of the courthouse. There are several extensions and large square recessed arches. The building has few windows and the roof line is flat. The new building is the Cameron County Judicial Center.

 

Old County Courthouse – Brownsville

 

1534t14

 

Location:  1131 Jefferson Street / 12th Street

Built:  1861 – 1862

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  J N Preston & Sons

Contractor:   S W Brooks

 

Description:  The building faces southwest and is a two story structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The building is now the Rio Grande Masonic Lodge No. 81.

 

County Harlingen Annex – Harlingen

 

1500t14

 

Location:  974 East Harrison Street / East 10th Street

Built:  1976 – 1978

Style:  Modern

Architect:  SHWC Inc. ( Swanson, Heister, Wilson & Claycomb ) of Brownsville / Gignaci Architects

Contractor:  Donald D Ferguson, Inc. / Scuggins Construction Company, Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story buff colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The south front has a large concrete section with large rectangular openings with a glass recessed entrance and tower rising above the roof line. The roof line is flat. 

 

Courthouses: 

N – Willacy County

E – Gulf of Mexico

S – Mexico

W – Hildalgo County

 

 

 

1519t14

County Courthouse

 

 

1520t14

 

 

1521t14

 

 

1523t14

 

 

1524t14

 

 

1525t14

 

 

1505t14

County Judicial Building

 

 

1509t14

 

 

1507t14

 

 

1510t14

 

 

1511t14

 

 

1515t14

 

 

1516t14

 

 

1529t14

Old County Courthouse

 

 

1530t14

 

 

1532t14

 

 

1533t14

 

 

1535t14

 

 

1499t14

County Courthouse Annex – Harlingen

 

 

1501t14

 

 

1502t14

 

 

1503t14

 

 

1504t14

Photos taken 2006 and 2014