Lavaca County is named for the Lavaca River which is the Spanish word “la vaca” meaning “cow”.
Created: April 6, 1846
Petrsburg 1846 – 1852
Hallettsville 1852 – present
County Courthouse – Hallettsville
Location: 105 North La Grange Street / East 2nd Street
Built: 1897 – 1899
Style: Romanesque Revival
Architect: T Heiner
Contractor: A T Lucas
Description: The building faces north and is a three story brown colored sandstone and gray colored stone structure. The building sits in the center of Courthouse Square in the center of the city. The north front has a large arch on the first story with recessed entrance. On the east and west, the center sections are recessed with large arch on the first story, balcony on the second and third story and rising to a peak at the roof line. On either side on the center sections are large square towers with steep roof. On the center of the roof is a one hundred seventy-foot clock tower with open belfry and steep roof at the top.
Note: The brown sandstone and gray stone were shipped in by rail as huge boulders from Mill County. These stones were measured and cut on site by local farmers and other laborers.
Note: The first courthouse was built in Petersburg in 1847. The building burned in 1850. The second courthouse was built in Petersburg by Spencer Townsend, Thomas Saunders and John Wonenburger in 1851. The third courthouse was designed and built by John W Kelly and Josiah Dowling in Hallettsville in 1852. The fourth courthouse built by J E Dietz & Company in 1875. The fifth and present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $62,500.
W – De Witt County
Photos taken 2014 and 2017