Lee County

US States / O-U / Texas / Lee County
0485T14

Lee County is named for Robert Edward Lee, who was the commanding general of the Confederate forces during the American Civil War.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Williamson County and Milam County

E – Burleson County and Washington County

S – Fayette County

W – Bastrop County

 

Created:  April 14, 1874                          Map of Texas highlighting Lee County

County Seat: 

Giddings  1874 – present

 

County Courthouse – Giddings 

 

Location:  200 South Main Street / East Hempstead Street

Built:  1897 – 1899

Style:  Romanesque Revival

Architect:  James Riely Gordon of San Antonio

Contractor:  Sonnefield, Emmins and Albright of San Antonio.

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a four story dark red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on the landscaped grounds of the Courthouse Square in the center of Giddings. The main entrance at the southwest corner is rounded with granite columns on the first story and more granite columns on the second story. The building forms Greek Cross with roof peaks on each side. On the center of the roof rises a large red colored brick tower with open windows in the lower part and a large clock in the upper part. White colored stone trim forms a horizontal band at the top of the first story and at the top of the third story. In the interior the first story is finished with marble tile, border, and base, all of a different color. On the south side of the first story is a courtroom. On the second story, the District Court courtroom, enhanced by attractive woodwork, has a high stamped metal ceiling and a gallery, supported by iron columns. The building houses the State District Court, Constitutional County Court and County Justice Court. The architect was James Riely Gordon of San Antonio and the contractor was Sonnefield, Emmins and Albright of San Antonio. The building was restored in 1982. The architect was Edward Mattingly Associates and the contractor was Cox Restoration Inc. and Emerson Construction Company Inc. The building was restored again in 2003. The architect was Architects Rabe +Partners and the contractor was Phoenix I Restoration and Construction, Ltd. On the north side is the County Courthouse Annex.

 

Note:   The courthouse is similar to the courthouse constructed in Comal County as the architect used the same plans.

 

See:  The architect James Riely Gordon of San Antonio, Texas

 

Note:  The first courthouse was a two story structure built in 1878 and burned in 1897. The second courthouse was constructed in 1897 at a cost of $32,270.

 

 

 

366texas06

County Courthouse - Giddings 

 

 

368texas06

 

 

0486t14

 

 

0487t14

 

 

0488t14

 

 

0491t14

 

 

2809t19

 

 

2810t19

 

 

2811t19

 

 

0493t14

 

 

0494t14

 

 

0497t14

 

 

2816t18

 

 

2814t19

 

 

2812t19

 

 

2815t19

 

 

2819t19

 

 

0499t14

 

 

0500t14

 

 

2817t19

 

 

2818t19

Photos taken 2006, 2014 and 2019