Gonzales County

US States / O-U / Texas / Gonzales County
0952T14

Gonzales County is named for the Spanish town of Gonzales founded during the Spanish occupation of Texas.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Bastrop County and Fayette County

E – Lavaca County and DeWitt County

S – Karnes County and Wilson County

W – Guadalupe County and Caldwell County

 

Created:  March 17, 1836                       Map of Texas highlighting Gonzales County

County Seat: 

Gonzales  1836 – present

 

County Courthouse – Gonzales  

 

Location:  414 North St. Joseph Street / St. Louis Street

Built:  1895 – 1896

Style:  Romanesque Revival

Architect:  James Riely Gordon of San Antonio

Contractor:  Otto P Kroeger

 

Description:  The building faces southwest and is a three story dark red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Gonzales. The southwest front has a two story projecting section with arched windows having stone trim at the top. On either side of the center section are semi-circular two story sections with three arches at the first story porch and thin columns at the second story balcony. The building is tiered, rising to a hipped roof with large square clock tower with smaller section and steep roof at the top. The foundation of the basement is rough cut stone. In the interior, wooden stairs ascend the central atrium. The courtroom is located on the second story and has a balcony and wood furnishings. The building houses the State District Court and Constitutional County Court. On the north side of the building is the old three story cut stone County Jail.

 

See:  The architect James Riely Gordon of San Antonio, Texas

 

County Justice Center – Gonzales  

 

0974t14

 

Location:  414 North St. Joseph Street / St. Louis Street

Built:  1974 – 1975

Style:  Mediterranean

Architect:  Robert W Maurice, Richard S Wilkins and Thomas Martz of Houston

Contractor:  Mayfield Construction Company of San Antonio

 

Description:  The building is a one story dark red colored brick Mediterranean style structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the Gonzales beside the courthouse. The building faces southeast and was completed in 1975. The center section has five high arches and a recessed porch. The roof line is flat.

 

History:  The county was created in 1836 and Gonzales was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was a Greek Revival structure designed by Charles Payne and constructed by Nat Benton and D C Bledsoe in 1857. The building burned on December 3, 1893 and was replaced by the second and present courthouse at a cost of $64,450. The County Justice Center was constructed in 1974 to 1975.

 

 

0953t14

County Courthouse - Gonzales  

 

 

0954t14

 

 

0955t14

 

 

0956t14

 

 

0957t14

 

 

0959t14

 

 

0960t14

 

 

0968t14

 

 

0969t14

 

 

0966t14

 

 

0967t14

 

 

0961t14

 

 

0962t14

 

 

0963t14

 

 

0965t14

 

 

0970t14

 

 

0971t14

 

 

0977t14

Old County Jail - Gonzales  

 

 

2750t19

 

 

2754t19

 

 

2755t19

 

 

0972t14

County Justice Center - Gonzales  

 

 

2745t19

 

 

0975t14

 

 

2748t19

 

 

0976t14

Photos taken 2014 and 2019