Sumner County is named for Jethro Sumner, who was an American colonist who defended North Carolina against the British in 1780.
Created: November 18, 1786
Gallatin 1786 – present
County Courthouse – Gallatin
Location: 105 Public Square / Water Avenue
Built: 1939 – 1940
Architect: Marr & Holman of Nashville
Contractor: W R Smith & Son of Nashville
Description: The building faces south and is a three story gray limestone and concrete structure. The building sits in the center of the Public Square in the center of the city. .All the sides of the building are similar with vertical pilasters between the windows on the second and third stories. The central entrances are framed. A wide eave runs along the flat roof line. The courtroom is located on the south side of the second story. The building was a Work Projects Administration project. The building was renovated and remodeled from 1972 to 1975. The architect was Howard Nielson Thomas Miller Aldred Henry & O’Brien if Nashville and the contractor was Martin R Curtis Construction Company of Hendersonville.
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed in 1839 and enlarged in 1867. The building was demolished.
See: The architect, Joseph Holman and Thomas Marr of Nashville, designed courthouses in Bedford County, Franklin County, Hardin County, Lauderdale County, Madison County, McNairy County, Obion County, Pickett County and Weakley County. They also designed the Tennessee Supreme Court in Nashville.
County Justice Center – Gallatin
Location: 117 West Smith Street / South Water Avenue
Built: 1970 – 1972
Architect: Yearwood & Johnson, Inc.
Contractor: C T C Construction Company
Description: The building faces north and is a two story buff colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located to the south of the courthouse in the center of the city. The north front has glass walls on the first story with a central entrance. A wide horizontal concrete section runs at the roof line of the first story. The second story is recessed with several rectangular sections. The roof line is flat. The two courtrooms are located at the center of the first story. The building houses the General Sessions Court.
S – Wilson County
County Justice Center
Photos taken 2012 and 2018