Cannon County is named for Newton Cannon, who was Governor of Tennessee from 1835 to 1839.
Created: January 21, 1836
Woodbury 1836 – present
County Courthouse – Woodbury
Location: 200 West Main Street / Tatum Street
Built: 1935 – 1936
Style: Colonial Revival
Architect: George D Waller of Nashville
Contractor: Bell Brothers.
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The south front has a central entrance on the first story with four pilasters rising to a header at the roof line. A high square white colored cupola rises above the entrance at the roof line having a clock and an open octagonal section with gold colored dome at the top. There is trim along the corners of the building. The base of the building is course stone. The red colored roof is hipped. The courtroom is located on the second story.
Note: The first courthouse was built by William Bates in 1838 at a cost of $13,000. The courthouse burned on November 13, 1934. The second courthouse and present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $45,000.
E – Warren County
S – Coffee County
Photos taken 2014 and 2018