DeKalb County is named for Johann de Kalb, who was a German born baron who assisted the Continentals during the American Revolutionary War.
Created: December 11, 1837
Smithville 1838 – present
County Courthouse – Smithville
Location: 1 North Public Square / East Main Street
Built: 1969 – 1970
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Maffett-Howland and Associates
Contractor: Puckett Construction Company
Description: The building faces west and is a two story stone, glass and concrete structure. The building is located on the landscaped grounds of the Public Square in the center of the city. There are vertical windows and the center section on the west and east sides project from the main building. The roof line is flat. The courtroom is located on the second story.
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed in 1925. The building was demolished.
N – Smith County
S – Warren County
Photos taken 2012 and 2018