Rutherford County is named for Griffin Rutherford, who was chairman of the legislator of the Southwest Territory.
Created: October 25, 1803
Murfressboro 1803 – present
County Courthouse – Murfressboro
Location: Public Square / North Church Street
Built: 1858 – 1859
Style: Greek Revival and Italianate
Architect: James H Yeaman
Contractor: James H Yeaman
Description: The building faces east and is a three story red colored brick structure. The building sits in the center of the Public Square in the center of the city. The east front has a high portico with four high white colored columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. There is a balcony on the second story. The building has lower north and south wings. A wide cornice runs below the roof line. On the center of the roof is a large white colored cupola with clock and lantern at the top. In 1861, additions and improvements were made. The architect was James H Yeaman and contractor E E Dandridge. Substantial work was done in 1906 to 1908 when the third story was added. The cupola was added in 1912. The north and south wings were added in 1960. The architect was Burney L Tucker, Jr. and the contractor was Garland Construction Company.
Note: The first courthouse at Cannonsburg ( Murfreesboro ) was completed in 1813. The building was renovated in 1817 and served as state capitol from 1819 to 1822, when it burned. The next courthouse was built in 1822 and the present courthouse was completed in 1859 at a cost of $50,000 under the supervision of James H Yeaman who was also the architect.
See: The courthouse is one of six remaining working Antebellum courthouses in Tennessee located in Carter County, Dickson County, Hawkins County, Jefferson County, Rutherford County and Williamson County.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Rutherford County Courthouse
County Judicial Building – Murfressboro
Location: 20 North Public Square / North Maple Street
Built: 1979 – 1980
Architect: Morton-Lyne & Associates of Nashville
Contractor: Smyrna Hardware & Lumber Company
Description: The building faces south and is a five story red-orange colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located in a row of buildings along the Public Square in the center of the city. The south front has a central entrance on the first story with four columns and recessed porch. On the second story is a recessed arch with balcony. The roof line is flat.
N – Wilson County
County Judicial Building
County Courthouse Information
Photos taken 2014