Madison County is named for James Madison, who was the President of the United states from 1809 to 1817.
Created: November 7, 1821
Jackson 1821 – present
County Courthouse – Jackson
Location: 100 East Main Street / South Highland Avenue
Built: 1936 – 1937
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Joseph Holman and Thomas Marr of Nashville
Contractor: Foster and Creighton of Nashville
Description: The building faces north and is a three story cream colored limestone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The building has a stone framed entrance in the center. Vertical stone pillars divide the windows on the second and third stories. The roof line is flat. The courtroom is is located on the east side of the second story. The building was a Work Projects Administration project.
Note: The first courthouse was a log structure built in 1822 on the northeast side of the square. The second courthouse was a brick structure built in 1825. The third courthouse was constructed by Thomas Brown and Robert Brown in 1845 and was remodeled several in 1907. The architect was Bartlett, Buddemeyer & Chamberlain. The building was demolished in 1935 to make room for the fourth and present courthouse which cost $300,000.
See: The architect, Joseph Holman and Thomas Marr of Nashville, designed courthouses in Bedford County, Franklin County, Hardin County, Lauderdale County, McNairy County, Obion County, Pickett County, Sumner County and Weakley County. They also designed the Tennessee Supreme Court in Nashville.
County Criminal Justice Complex – Jackson
Location: 515 South Liberty Street / Tarryard Street
Built: 1996 – 1998
Architect: TLM Associates, Inc.
Contractor: Inman Construction Corporation
Description: The building faces east and is a three story red colored brick, stone, concrete and glass structure. The center section of the building is hexagonal with four one story wings extending at each corner. The east front has a large black polished stone center section with glass entrance on the first story and large window sections on the second and third stories. And then rises to a peak. There are low north and south wings which extend from the main building. The roof line is flat. The building is named as the J Alexander Leech Criminal Justice Complex.
See: Located in the county is the Tennessee Supreme Court – Jackson.
Picture 1907 Courthouse
County Criminal; Justice Complex
Photos taken 2011, 2015 and 2018