Henderson County is named for James Henderson, who was an officer during the War of 1812.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Carroll County
E – Decatur County
S – Hardin County and Chester County
W – Chester County and Madison County
Created: November 7, 1821
Lexington 1821 – present
County Courthouse – Lexington
Location: 17 Monroe Avenue / Church Street
Built: 1960 – 1961
Architect: Hart-Freeland-Roberts, Inc. of Nashville and Jackson
Contractor: John H Moore & Sons
Description: The building faces northeast and is a two story buff colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Lexington. The northeast front has a central recessed entrance. The windows are vertical with gray panels between. The roof is hipped. In the interior, there are wide hallways on the first story. The courtroom is located on the southwest side of the second story. The building houses the County Circuit Court, County Chancery Court, County General Sessions Court and County Juvenile Court of the 26th Judicial District.
See: The architect, Hart-Freeland-Roberts, Inc. of Nashville and Jackson, designed courthouses in Benton County, Lawrence County and Unicoi County.
See: The 26th Judicial District includes Chester County and Madison County.
History: The county was created in 1821 and Lexington was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was one story log structure built in 1822 at a cost of $142. The second courthouse was a brick building built in 1827 by Samuel Wilson at a cost of $4,595.97. In 1832, Robert Baker, E H Tarrant and G Kerherdon remodeled the building. In 1844, the walls were taken down and rebuilt by James H Watson. The courts in the meantime met at the Masonic Hall. The courthouse was destroyed by fire in 1863. After the war the courts met at the store house of William. Brooks, the office of T C Muse and other places until 1866. The third courthouse was a two story frame structure built by Robert Dyer in 1867 for $7,450. The courthouse was destroyed by fire in 1895. The fourth courthouse was designed by R H Hunt and constructed by B M Nelson in 1896. The fifth and present courthouse was constructed in 1960 to 1961.
County Courthouse - Lexington
Picture 1896 County Courthouse
Photos taken 2012 and 2018