Union County is named for the Union Church.
Created: March 2, 1785
Union 1785 – present
County Courthouse – Union
Location: 210 West Main Street / Gadberry Street
Built: 1911 – 1912
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Anthony Ten Eyck Brown
Contractor: John Jefferson Cain
Description: The building faces south and is a two story buff colored brick structure. The building has a large semi circular portico with eight large columns rising to a roof which has a balustrade. The entrance is recessed and framed with windows above on the second story. There are panels between the first and second story windows.
Note: The first courthouse was designed by Robert Mills and built in 1823.
N – Cherokee County
Photos taken 2008