Fulton County is named for Robert Fulton, who was the inventor of the first successful steamboat, and who lived from 1765 to 1815.
Created: December 20, 1853
Atlanta 1853 – present
County Courthouse – Atlanta
Location: 136 Pryor Street NW / Martin Luther King Jr. Drive
Built: 1911 – 1914
Style: Neo-Classical Revival / Beaux Arts Classisism
Architect: Anthony Ten Eyck Brown and Morgan and Dillon, Architects
Description: The building faces west and is a ten story gray stone and concrete structure. The building is the largest public structure built in the classical idiom in Atlanta. The inset section of six giant Corinthian semidetached columns overpowers the modest arched entrances, and looks tightly squeezed in a facade otherwise punctured by utilitarian openings. This arrangement contributes to the general impression of heaviness and mismatched proportions.
County Justice Center – Atlanta
Location: 195 Central Avenue SW / Martin Luther King Jr. Drive
Built: 1991 – 1993
Description: The building faces east and is a nine story concrete and glass structure.
Old Campbell County Courthouse – Fairburn
Location: Northeast Broad Street / Cole Street
Built: 1871 – 1872
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: Smith & Brother.
Contractor: Smith & Brother.
Description: The building faces northwest and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the city center. The northwest has four 20 foot high modeled concrete columns. Against the front wall is a full-length, double-curved, wrought-iron-encased stairway. The stairway frames the main floor central (double-door) entrance and has a narrow landing in front of the central single doorway upstairs entrance. Both front entrances are arched and have fan-lighting. The roof is hipped. In 1907, the building was remodeled.
Note: The cost of construction was $10,674.
See: Located in the county is the Georgia Supreme Court.
County Justice Center
Photos taken 2013 and 2018