Newberry County is named for the town of Newbury in England, but the exact origin of the name is unknown.
Created: March 2, 1785
Newberry 1785 – present
County Courthouse – Newberry
Location: 1226 College Street / Martin Street
Built: 1907 – 1908
Style: Neo-Classical Revival
Architect: Frank P Milburn & Company, of Washington, DC
Contractor: George W Warring of Columbia
Description: The building faces southwest and is a three story dark red colored brick structure. On the south, west and north are high porticoes supported by four red colored brick columns with pediment above. A white colored cornice follows the roof line. There are white colored panels between the first and second story windows on the portico section of the building. An addition was added to the east side of the building.
See: The architect Frank Pierce Milburn of Washington, DC.
County Courthouse Annex – Newberry
Location: SW – College Street / Martin Street
Description: The building faces northeast and is a one story concrete and glass structure. The building was purchased in 1955. The building was a car showroom before being remodeled in 2000.
Old County Courthouse – Newberry
Location: Public Square / Main Street
Built: 1851 – 1852
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: Jacob Graves
Contractor: John Damron
Description: The building faces north and is a two story brick and stucco structure. The building sits in the center of the Public Square. The bas-relief in the pediment was added by Osborne Wells in 1876 and is an allegorical representation of the “Scales of Justice”, the American eagle which grasps an uprooted Palmetto tree (South Carolina) in an attempt to balance a gamecock and a dove with an olive branch (peace). The north front has six large white columns with a balcony on the second story. The building serves as the Visitor Center.
N – Union County
W – Laurens County
Photos taken 2008