Cherokee County is named for the Cherokee Native American people.
Created: February 25, 1897
Gaffney 1897 – present
County Courthouse – Gaffney
Location: 125 East Floyd Baker Boulevard / North Petty Street
Built: 1929 – 1930
Architect: M R Marsh
Contractor: Brown-Harry Inc.
Description: The building faces southwest and is a two story gray colored limestone structure. The building is rectangular and the main entrance is located in the center with a stone frame and a light standard on either side. The center section has vertical pilasters between the windows. The east and west sections project slightly from the main building. A projecting cornice runs below the flat roof line.
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed in 1898.
County Administration – Gaffney
Location: 210 North Limestone Street / West Floyd Baker Boulevard
Built: 1913 – 1914
Architect: Arthur W Hamby of Hamby & Rorke, Columbia
Contractor: S A Miller
Description: The building faces northwest and is a one story concrete, brick, metal and wood structure. The building was constructed for use as the Carnagie Free Llibrary. The dark red colored brick building has a raised basement and a central entrance on the nortwest side. A white colored cornice runs below the roof line. An addition was added in 1937 to 1938. The contractor for the addition was S A Miller of Gaffney. Since 1972, the building has housed the County Administration.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Carnegie Free Library
E – York County
S – Union County
Photos taken 2008