Crawford County is named for William Crawford, who was a hero of the American Revolutionary War.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Erie County
E – Warren County
Created: March 12, 1800
County Courthouse – Meadville
Location: 903 Diamond Park / East Center Lane
Built: 1952 – 1954
Style: Georgian Revival
Architect: Edwin S Hanna and D Fuller Stewart of Meadville
Contractor: L H Ludwig of Falconer, New York
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red-orange colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Meadville facing onto the spacious grounds of Diamond Park. The north and south wings extend from the main building. The center section has a large portico supported by four high columns with pediment above at the roof line. The wall behind the columns is faced with stone. Behind the pediment is a square clock tower with white colored cupola at the top. There is a simple stone cornice and window trim around the double-sash six-over-six windows. The interior is closer to a school than a courthouse as there are no ceremonial spaces or murals, just plaster and tile finishes.
Note: During construction the electric work was contracted to Keystone Electric Company of Erie for $59,440; the elevator work to Otis Elevator Company of Erie for $22,484; the heat and air conditioning work to David Brown of Bradford for $84,829 and the plumbing work to Keystone Pipe & Supply Company of Butler for $32,560.
See: The courthouse is similar in style to the courthouse in McKean County.
Note: When the counties of Armstrong County, Beaver County, Butler County, Erie County, Mercer County, Venango County and Warren County were formed in 1800 along with Crawford County, the first courts of the new counties were held at held at Meadville.
County Judicial Center – Meadville
Location: 359 Center Street / Diamond Park
Built: 2015 – 2017
Architect: Weber Murphy Fox
Contractor: Mike Coates
Description: The building faces south and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located in the center of Meadville on the north side of the courthouse. The south front has a slightly projecting central entrance section with glass panels above on the second and third stories. The windows are divided by cream colored concrete panels. The roof line is flat. On the third story is a large courtroom with room for 165 spectators.
History: The county was created in 1800 and Meadville was selected as the county seat. The first court was held July 6, 1800, in a room on the second floor of the William Dick residence on Water Street. The first courthouse was built in 1804 and the second courthouse was designed by William Strictland and built in 1825. The third courthouse which stood on the same site as the present courthouse was designed by E L Roberts and constructed in 1865 to 1867. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1952 to 1954 at a cost of $900,000. The County Judicial Center was constructed in 2015 to 2017 at a cost of $5,292,000.
County Courthouse – Meadville
Photos taken 2010