Venango County is named for Native American word “onenge” meaning “otter”.
Created: March 12, 1800
Franklin 1800 – present
County Courthouse – Franklin
Location: 500 West Main Street / 12th Street
Built: 1867 – 1869
Architect: Sloan and Hutton of Philadelphia
Contractor: Sloan and Hutton of Philadelphia
Description: The building faces south and is a three story red colored brick structure. The building is in the form of a “T”. The south front has three arches on the first story with long arched windows on the second and third stories and above is a pediment at the roof line. On the southeast corner is a high square white colored clock tower with white colored dome at the top. On the southwest corner is a smaller cupola with steep white colored dome. The rear portion of the building was constructed in 1931 to 1932. The architect and contractor was Samuel Brady. On the north side of the courthouse is the modern Courthouse Annex.
W – Mercer County
Photos taken 2010