McKean County is named for Thomas McKean, who was a Governor of Pennsylvania and a signer of the Declaration of Independence.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
E – Potter County
W – Warren County
Created: March 26, 1843
Smethport 1843 – present
County Courthouse – Smethport
Location: 500 West Main Street / State Street
Built: 1940 – 1941
Style: Georgian Revival
Architect: Thomas K Hendryx and Elby & Lyman
Contractor: Border Building Company
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored tapestry brick, Indiana limestone and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of Smethport. The building forms a sideways “H” with wings running east and west. The south front has a projecting center section with a portico supported by six columns with pediment at the roof line. The east and west sections have stone trim and end sections which rise to smaller pediments. Behind the central section is a red brick and white colored wood clock tower with steep dome. The roof is hipped. The oldest part of the building is the east wing which was constructed in 1914. In the interior, walnut doors lead into the marble circular main lobby. The floors have patterns of terrazzo containing highly polished marble in a variety of colors.
See: The courthouse is similar in style to the courthouse in Crawford County.
History: The county was created in 1826 and Smethport was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was built in 1827. The second courthouse was designed and built by Solom Startwell in 1851. The third courthouse was designed by Milton Earl Bebee and constructed in 1881. The east wing was added in 1914 and the west wing added in 1937 which was designed by Thomas K Hendryx and constructed by Border Building Company. The front wing of the courthouse was destroyed by fire in 1940. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1940 to 1941 incorporating the 1914 east wing.
County Courthouse - Smethport
Photos taken 2011