Butler County

US States / O-U / Pennsylvania / Butler County
1300O15

Butler County is named for Richard Butler, who was an American Revolutionary War general and who was killed at the Battle of Fallen Timbers.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Mercer County and Venango County

E – Clarion County and Armstong County

S – Westmoreland County and Allegheny County

W – Beaver County and Lawrence County 

 

Created:  March 12, 1800                       Map of Pennsylvania highlighting Butler County

County Seat: 

Butler  1800 – present

 

County Courthouse – Butler

 

Location:  124 West Diamond Street / North Main Avenue

Built:  1881 – 1885

Style:  High Victorian Gothic

Architect:  James P Bailey

Contractor:  R B Taylor

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a three story brown colored sandstone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Butler. The outside walls are 22 inches thick, made of honey-brown colored local sandstone lined with brick. The central tower rises four stories with clock and steep stainless steel mansard roof. Smaller square stone towers are on the north and south corners. The second story has arched windows. The building has an enclosed front porch. The roof is hipped. The building was enlarged in 1908. The building is connected to the County Government Center on the west side by a second story bridge.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Butler Ciounty Courthouse

 

County Government Center – Butler

 

451p06

 

Location:  124 West Diamond Street / North Main Avenue

Built:  1989 – 1991

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Foreman-Bashford Architects

Contractor:  O’Brien-Kreitzberg & Associates, Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a seven story red colored brick and buff colored concrete structure. The building is lcated in the center of Bulter and descends a slope on the west side with the courthouse on the east side.. The east front has a recessed glass entrance on the second story. The roof line is flat. The building is connected to the courthouse by a fourth story bridge. The building is named as the Butler County Government Center. 

 

 History:   The county was created in 1800 and Butler was selected as the county seat. The first courts were held in Meadville in Crawford CountyThe first courthouse was was a two story brick structure constructed in 1807. The second courthouse was a two story brick and sandstone structure built from 1853 to 1855. The courthouse was destroyed by fire in 1883. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1881 to 1885. The County Government Center was constructed in 1989 to 1991.

 

 

1299o15

County Courthouse – Butler

 

 

1301o15

 

 

448p06

 

 

1303o15

 

 

1306o15

 

 

1304o15

 

 

1305o15

 

 

1307o15

 

 

1308o15

 

 

1309o15

 

 

1310o15

 

 

1311o15

 

 

1312o15

 

 

1313o15

 

 

1314o15

 

 

1317o15

 

 

1315o15

 

 

1316o15

 

 

1318o15

 

 

1319o15

 

 

1320o15

 

 

1322o15

 

 

450p06

 

 

1323o15

 

 

1325o15

 

 

1326o15

Photos taken 2006 and 2015