Erie County is named for the Erie Native American tribe.
Created: March 15, 1838
Sandusky 1838 – present
County Courthouse – Sandusky
Location: 323 Columbus Avenue / West Washington Street
Built: 1872 – 1875
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Henry E Myer of Meyer and Holmes
Contractor: Miller, Frayer & Sheets
Description: The building faces north and is a three story smooth limestone structure. The north front has a projecting center section with rectangular framed entrance on the first story. The windows on the first story are arched and on the second and third stories, are vertical. On the center of the roof rises a square stone clock tower with capped peak. The roof line is flat. The building was remodeled in 1938 and 1939. The architect was Henry Millott and the work was done under the Works Project Administration.
E – Lorain County
S – Huron County
W – Sandusky County
Photos taken 2010