Huron County is named for the Huron Native American tribe.
Created: March 7, 1809
Norwalk 1809 – present
County Courthouse – Norwalk
Location: 2 East Main Street / Benedict Avenue
Built: 1913 – 1914
Style: Queen Anne and Renaissance
Architect: Vernon Redding
Contractor: George Kratt
Description: The building faces northwest and is a two story rusicated stone structure. The northwest front has a high square stone clock tower with cupola at the top, rising above the entrance. The second floor is made up of smooth masonry blocks with a balcony framed by masonry walls and framed inside with Doric columns. The corner windows are long rectangular panels framed with a decorative border and keystone. The windows by the portico are arched with decorative borders and keystones. The roof line is flat. On the east side of the building is the old County Jail.
Note: The courthouse was constructed in 1882 to 1883. The top floor of the building was destroyed by a fire in 1912. The old walls were used in the reconstruction of the present courthouse.
Note: The bell was cast by the McShane Bell Foundry of Baltimore, Maryland. It was cast for the Seth Thomas Clock Company of Thomaston, Connecticut ( the maker of the clock ) in 1913.
Note: The architect, Vernon Redding, also designed the courthouse in Ashland County.
N – Erie County
Photos taken 2010