Sandusky County is named for an Iroquois word meaning “cold water”.
Created: April 1, 1820
Fremont 1820 – present
County Courthouse – Fremont
Location: 100 North Park Avenue / Court Street
Built: 1840 – 1844
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: Cyrus Williams
Contractor: Issac Knapp
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The east front has a wide porch with eighteen columns rising to a wide header below the flat roof line. The center section is recessed with three recessed doorways. On the center of the roof is a square white wood cupola with smaller octagonal cupola with dome at the top. The original structure is now the north section. In 1870, the building was enlarged. The contractor was David L June and Son. In 1935, the south section was added and the dome was moved to the center section. The contractor was David L June and Son. In 1935 to 1936, the south section was added and the dome was moved to the center section. The architect was C H Shively and the contractor was Steinie-Wolfe Construction Company.
Note: Contract awarded on June 2, 1840 for the sum of $14,550 to Issac Knapp.
Old County Jail – Fremont
Location: 622 Crogan Street / Clover Street
Built: 1890 – 1891
Style: Queen Anne and Romanesque Revival
Architect: John Carlton Johnson of Fremont
Description: The building faces south and is a two story buff colored sandstone and wood structure. The building faces south and was completed in 1891. The building is located on the west side of the courthouse and was divided into two segments for the sheriff’s residence and for housing prisoners. The south front has a projecting section with large arch and recessed entrance. Above on the second story are three arched windows and above that, the wall rises to a peak. On the west side is a round tower with conical roof. The roof is hipped. The building now houses the County Commissioners Office.
N – Ottawa County
S – Seneca County
W – Wood County
Photos taken 2010