Licking County is named for the salt licks in the area.
Created: March 1, 1808
Newark 1808 – present
County Courthouse – Newark
Location: 20 South 2nd Street / Main Street
Built: 1877 – 1878
Style: Second Empire
Architect: Henry E Myer of Cleveland
Contractor: Frazier Miller & Sheets
Description: The building faces west and is a three story gray colored limestone structure. The building is located on the landscaped Public Square. There is a sandstone foundation. Each side of the building are one story porches with four columns rising to a balcony on the second story. There is a large window with the projecting section rising to a small pediment. The building has eleven identical statues of Lady Justice, one at each entrance. The roof is mansard with a large square clock tower with four faced clock and gold colored dome at the top.
Note: The first courthouse was designed by Josiah Spaulding and Mark London and was built in 1832. The courthouse burned in 1875. The cost of constriction of the present courthouse was $190,000.
N – Knox County
Photos taken 2015