Ashland County is named for Ashland, which was the name of Henry Clay’s estate in Kentucky.
Created: February 24, 1846
Norwalk 1809 – present
Ashland 1846 – present
County Courthouse – Ashland
Location: 142 West 2nd Street / South College Street
Built: 1928 – 1929
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Vernon Redding
Contractor: Melbourne Construction Company
Description: The building faces south and is a two story buff colored Indiana limestone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The south front has a center section with four vertical concrete dividers between the recessed windows and with a central entrance on the first story. The flat roof is framed by a balustrade which in turns hides a large skylight that illuminates the Great Chamber below.
Note: The architect, Vernon Redding, also designed the courthouse in Huron County.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed and built by Ozias S Kinney in 1853.
Photos taken 2015