Knox County is named for Henry Knox, who was a hero of the War of 1812 and who served as the first United States Secretary of State.
Created: March 1, 1808
Mount Vernon 1808 – present
County Courthouse – Mount Vernon
Location: 106 East High Street / North Gay Street
Built: 1890 – 1891
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: Daniel Clark
Contractor: John Jennings
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The south front has two large columns rising to the second story. A wide band below the roof line is decorated. The pediment is decorated. A square wood cupola rises from the center of the south part of the building and has four clocks with a green colored dome.
S – Licking County
Photos taken 2006 and 2015