Wayne County is named for Anthony Wayne, who was a General in the American Revolutionary War, and who lived from 1745 to 1796.
Created: February 13, 1808
Wooster 1808 – present
County Courthouse – Wooster
Location: 428 West Liberty Street / Market Street
Built: 1877 – 1879
Style: Second Empire
Architect: Thomas Boyd
Contractor: W M Keyser
Description: The building faces south and is a three story buff colored brick structure. There is light colored brick on the first story and the upper stories are a darker color. A square five story tower rises at the northeast corner to a mansard roof topped by a round cupola. The building has a mansard roof with porthole windows.
Note: On the southern side sits a broken pediment with a griffin peering out below. Resting on the pediment are two figures representing Justice, one holding the scales of justice, the other the Ten Commandments.
Note: The first meeting of the court was held in a log cabin built by John Bever and then in the Baptist Church. The first courthouse was built by John Beven, William Henry and John Larwell in 1819. The building was destroyed by fire in 1928. The second courthouse was designed by John McCurdy and built by Calvin Construction in 1831 to 1832. The cost for the construction of the present courthouse was $75,000.
County Municipal Courthouse – Wooster
Location: 215 North Grant Street / West North Street
Built: 2000 – 2002
Architect: Strollo Architects of Youngstown
Contractor: Bogner Construction Company of Wooster
Description: The building faces west and is a two story buff brick, glass and concrete structure. The west front is circular with horizontal windows and large glass panels above the central entrance. A circular canopy extends out from the building. On the flat roof is a circular section with horizontal windows and extended metal work.
N – Medina County
S – Holmes County
W – Ashland County
Photos taken 2006 and 2015