Holmes County is named for Andrew H Holmes, who was killed at the battle on Mackinac Island during the War of 1812.
Created: January 20, 1844
Millersburg 1844 – present
County Courthouse – Millersburg
Location: 1 East Jackson Street / South Monroe Street
Built: 1884 – 1886
Architect: Joseph Warren Yost of Cleveland
Contractor: Hibbert & Schaus
Description: The building faces north and is a two story buff colored limestone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The north front has a small portico with four thin columns rising to a balcony on the second story with a statue of Lady Justice. Above is a large arched window on the second story and a pediment at the roof line. Each corner has a mansard roof. On the center of the roof is a square clock tower with green dome. The roof is sloped. On the southwest corner of courthouse square is the old red colored brick Italianate style jail constructed in 1880.
S – Coshocton County
Photos taken 2011