Stark County is named for John Stark, who was a hero in the American Revolutionary War.
Created: February 13, 1808
Canton 1808 – present
County Courthouse – Canton
Location: 115 Central Plaza North / Tuscarawas Street West
Built: 1893 – 1895
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: John Milton Dyer of Cleveland
Contractor: George Hammond
Description: The building faces east and is a four story granite stone and buff colored sandstone structure. The building has am imposing bell and clock tower on the northeast corner, crowned by four angels, the “Trumpeters of Justice”. The first story uses the Roman arch motif with the entrance having three arches over the south porch entrance. The second story uses round windows set in ornamented squares and the lower part uses a narrow Roman arch window. The upper story has square-headed Roman-style windows. The building has two porticos with elaborate pedimented design. The building was renovated from 1992 to 1995. The building houses the Ohio Court of Appeals – Canton ( 5th Appellate District )
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1817 to 1818. The second courthouse was designed by Henry E Myers of Cleveland and constructed in 1868 to 1870, with a separate Annex. The present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $111,369.45 and was built around the previous building.
See: The Court of Appeals ( 5th Appellate District ) also sits in Delaware County.
Photos taken 2006 and 2015