Richland County is named for the rich soil in the county.
Created: March 1, 1808
Mansfield 1808 – present
County Courthouse – Mansfield
Location: 50 Park Avenue East / South Diamond Street
Built: 1966 – 1968
Architect: Thomas Gene Zaugg & Associates
Contractor: Emory L Myers & Sons Inc.
Description: The building faces north and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The north front has pre-cast concrete arches that form a portico across the front. The central entrance has a one story concrete canopy with glass walls. Above the canopy is a clock. When the courthouse was first constructed the building had round chandeliers hanging from the portico, which matched lights in the interior, but the chandeliers deteriorated and were later replaced by hanging lights. The roof line is flat.
Note: The first courthouse was a blockhouse built in 1812. The second courthouse was built in 1827. The third courthouse was designed by H E Myer and constructed by Miller, Frayer & Sheets in 1873. A cupola designed by C E Martin Brothers was added in 1910. The building was razed when the present courthouse was constructed.
N – Huron County
E – Ashland County
S – Knox County
Photos taken 2015