Tyrrell County is named for John Tyrrell, who was at one time a Lords Proprietor.
Created: November 27, 1729
Columbia 1729 – present
County Courthouse – Columbia
Location: 403 Main Street / Broad Street
Built: 1903 – 1904
Architect: B F Smith Fireproof Construction Company
Contractor: B F Smith Fireproof Construction Company
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick structure. The north front has a wide porch supported by four sets of double columns and with a wrought iron balcony along the top. The recessed entrance on the first store is arched. Above the entrance, on the second story is a small arched door and arched windows. The front of the building rises to a peaked parapet at the roof line. The green colored roof is hipped. On the south side of the building is a one story addition constructed in 2003. The architect was Cahoon-Kasten and the contractor was A R Chesson Construction Company, Inc. On the grounds is the old two story red colored brick jail.
County Administration – Columbia
Location: 108 South Water Street / Main Street
Description: The building faces west and is a one story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The roof line is flat.
E – Dare County
S – Hyde County
Photos taken 2012