Hyde County

US States / N / North Carolina / Hyde County
Hyde

Hyde County is named for Edward Hyde, who was a governor of colonial North Carolina.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Washington CountyTyrrell County and Dare County

E – Dare County and Atlantic Ocean

S – Atlantic Ocean

W – Beaufort County

 

Created:  December 3, 1705                  Map of North Carolina highlighting Hyde County

County Seat: 

Bath                    1705 – 1729

Woodstock          1729 – 1789

German-town      1789 – 1820

Lake Landing       1820 – 1836

Swan Quarter      1836 – present

 

County Courthouse – Swan Quarter 

 

Location:  23145 Highway 264 / Oyster Creek Road

Built:  2006 – 2007

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Brennan & Associates of Charlotte

Contractor:  A R Chesson Construction Company of Williamston-Edenton

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a three story red colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The north front has a large projecting center section with large windows on the second and third stories. The first story has arches and a recessed entrance. The roof is hipped. The building houses the County Superior Court and County District Court of the 2nrd Judicial District. The building is named as the Hyde County Government Center. The old courthouse is located on the north side of the building.

 

Old County Courthouse – Swan Quarter 

 

1051nc12

 

Location:  23145 Highway 264 / Oyster Creek Road2

Built:  1854 – 1855

Style:  Federal and Greek Revival

Architect:  County Planning Committee

Contractor:  County Planning Committee

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Swan Quarter to the north of the courthouse. The building is “T” shaped. The roof is hipped.  Annexes were added in 1878, 1909, 1950 and again in 1962. . The architect and the contractor was B F Smith Fireproof Construction Company for the 1909 addition. The building now houses an art gallery.

 

See:  The 2nd Judicial District includes Beaufort County, Martin CountyTyrrell County and Washington County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1705 and Bath (Beaufort County) was selected as the county seat. In 1729 the county seat was moved to Woodstock and the first courthouse was built. The county seat was moved to Germantown in 1789 and the second courthouse was built. In 1820, the county seat was moved to Lake Landing and the third courthouse was built. The county seat was moved to Swan Quarter in 1836. The fourth courthouse was built in 1836. The fifth courthouse was constructed in 1854 to 1855 and is still standing. The sixth and present courthouse was constructed in 2006 to 2007.

 

 

1045nc12_0

County Courthouse – Swan Quarter

 

 

1048nc12

 

 

1049nc12

 

 

1050nc12

 

 

1052nc12

Old County Courthouse – Swan Quarter

Photos taken 2012