Pasquotank County

US States / N / North Carolina / Pasquotank County
Pasquotank

Pasquotank County is named for the Native American word “paketank” meaning “where the current of the stream divides or forks”.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Camden County

E – Camden County

S – Tyrrell County

W – Gates County and Perquimans County

 

Created:  1670                                        Map of North Carolina highlighting Pasquotank County

County Seat: 

Broomfield        1739 – 1757

Reke’s Point     1757 – 1762

Winfield            1762 – 1770

Nixonton           1770 – 1800

Elizabeth City   1800 – present

 

County Courthouse – Elizabeth City

 

Location:  206 East Main Street / North Elliott Street

Built:  1881 – 1882

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  Albert L West of Richmond, Virginia

Contractor:  Daniel Steigerwalt Kramer

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Elizabeth City. The building has an east and west wing with a center section having a portico with four columns. On the center of the roof is a high white colored cupola with clock and small dome at the top. The roof is hipped. The courtroom is located on the second story. The building houses the County Superior Court and County District Court of the 1st Judicial District. The building was renovated and an addition added in 1979 and 1980. The architect was Noel N Coltrane, Jr. and the contractor was D R Allen & Son Inc. of Fayetteville.

 

See:  The 1st Judicial District includes Camden CountyChowan County, Currituck CountyDare County, Gates County and Perquimans County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1670 as a precinct of Albemarle County. In 1739 county status was gained and Broomfield was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was erected. In 1758 the court met in Relfe’s Point and then in Winfield. In 1770 the county seat was moved to Nixonton and the second courthouse was built in 1770. In 1800, the county seat was moved to Elizabeth City and the third courthouse was built. The fourth courthouse was built in 1866. The fifth  and present courthouse was constructed in 1881 to 1882.

 

 

0948nc12

County Courthouse – Elizabeth City

 

 

0949nc12

 

 

0950nc12

 

 

0951nc12

 

 

0953nc12

 

 

0961nnc12

 

 

0960nc12

 

 

0957nnc12

 

 

0958nc12

 

 

0956nc12

Photos taken 2012