Beaufort County is named for Henry Somerset, Duke of Beaufort, who was one of the Lords Proprietor in 1709.
Created: December 3, 1705
Washington 1705 – present
County Courthouse – Washington
Location: 112 West 2nd Street / Union Drive
Built: 1968 – 1971
Architect: J Guy Wilson Jr. and Associates
Contractor: J Leo Hawkins
Description: The building faces south and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The south front has a large central portico with two high columns on either side of a recessed entrance with circular top. Dual steps ascend to the first story entrance. At the east and west ends of the building are recessed sections. The roof is hipped.
Old County Courthouse – Washington
Location: 158 North Market Street / West 2nd Street
Built: 1786 – 1787
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick structure. The east front has a recessed central entrance. Below the hipped roof is a large fan light. On the center of the roof is a high square white colored wood cupola with clock at the top. The building now houses the Beaufort-Hyde-Martin Regional Library.
E – Hyde County
W – Pitt County
Photos taken 2012