Perquiman County is named for the Perquimans Native American tribe.
Hertford 1741 – present
County Courthouse – Hertford
Location: 124 North Church Street / East Market Street
Built: 1824 – 1825
Style: Georgian / Federal
Architect: John Gatling
Contractor: John Gatling
Description: The building faces west and is a two story yellow colored stucco structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The west front has a small portico with two columns rising to a pediment above the entrance. On the roof is a large pediment with fanlight. The roof is hipped roof. There are smaller north and south wings. The building was renovated in 1890, 1932 and 1952.
Note: John Gatling, who designed and constructed the courthouse, was a tavern keeper and prominent planter in the county. The courthouse is the second oldest courthouse in North Carolina still used as a courthouse. The oldest courthouse is located in Chowan County.
See: The only other Federal style courthouse is located in Gates County.
N – Gates County
S – Tyrrell County
W – Chowan County
Photos taken 2012