Rockingham County

US States / N / North Carolina / Rockingham County
Rockingham

Rockingham County is named for Charles Watson-Wentworth, who was the 2nd Marques of Rockingham, a British statesman and two time Prime Minister of Great Britain.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Henry County, Virginia and Pittsylvania County, Virginia

E – Caswell County 

S – Guilford County 

W – Stokes County

 

Created:  December 29, 1785                Map of North Carolina highlighting Rockingham County

County Seat: 

Rockhouse Creek  1785 – 1798

Wentworth              1798 – present

 

County Justice Center – Wentworth 

 

Location:  170 Highway 65 / Prison Camp Road

Built:  2009 – 2011

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Moseley Associates

Contractor:  Branch & Associates, Inc

 

Description:  The building faces northeast and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of Wentworth. The northeast front has an extended brick and glass section for the entrance. There are high vertical windows on the first and second stories and the third story section has a square tower at the center. The roof line is flat. .

 

Old County Courthouse – Wentworth 

 

0661nc12

 

Location:  1086 Highway 65 / Tyre Dodson Street

Built:  1906 – 1907

Style:  Neo-Classical Revival

Architect:  Frank Pierce Milburn of Washington DC

Contractor:  B F Smith Fireproof Construction Company

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a three story red colored brick  and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Wentworth. The north front has a central entrance on the first story and rises to a pediment above the third story. There are east and west two story wings. On the southwest there is an addition which houses the court. The building is being renovated for a County Museum. To the north of the courthouse is the old red colored brick jail.

 

See:  The contractor, B F Smith Fireproof Construction Company, constructed courthouses in Onslow County and Tyrrell County.

 

See:  The architect Frank Pierce Milburn of Washington, DC.

 

History: The first court met at the home of Adam Tate at Eagle Falls in 1786. The first courthouse was built in 1787 at Rockhouse Creek which became Wentworth in 1798. The second courthouse was a brick structure erected in 1824 in Wentworth. The building was remodeled in 1880. The architect was Lydon Swaim of Greensboro. The courthouse burned in 1906 and the third courthouse was  constructed in 1906 to 1907. The building is still standing. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 2009 to 2011.

 

County Administration – Wentworth 

 

0666nc12

 

Location:  321 Highway 65 / Wren Memorial Street

Built:  1985 – 1987

Style:  Modern

Architect:  J Hyatt Hammonds

Contractor:  Allen J H Construction of Greensboro

 

Description:  The building faces southwest and is a two story brown colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The building is named as the Rockingham County Government Center.

 

 

0678nc12

County Courthouse – Wentworth

 

 

0679nc12

 

 

0680nc12

 

 

0681nc12

 

 

0682nc12

 

 

0662nc12

Old County Courthouse – Wentworth

 

 

0663nc12

 

 

0664nc12

 

 

0665nc12

Old County Jail – Wentworth

 

 

0667nc12

County Administration – Wentworth

 

 

0668nc12

 

 

0669nc12

 

 

0670nc12

 

 

0671nc12

 

 

0672nc12

Photos taken 2012