Martin County is named for Josiah Martin, who was the last governor of colonial North Carolina.
Created: March 2, 1774
Williamston 1774 – present
County Courthouse – Williamston
Location: 305 East Main Street / Biggs Street
Built: 1983 – 1985
Architect: Fred Folson Associates, Inc. of Raleigh
Contractor: Hardy-Harvey, Inc. of Kinston
Description: The building faces southwest and is a three story red-brown colored brick style structure. The central entrance along the southwest side is recessed with a wing along the southeast and a short wing along the northwest side. The windows are horizontal. Along the northwest side are vertical dividers. The roof line is flat. The old courthouse is located along the southwest side of the building.
Old County Courthouse – Williamston
Location: 270 East Main Street / Biggs Street
Built: 1885 – 1887
Description: The building faces southwest and is a three story red colored brick structure. The northwest front has a large central tower with arched entrance on the first story. And rising to a large round window on the fourth story. The second story windows are narrow and arched. The building was restored from 1989 to 1991. The architect was Stephens and Francis of New Bern.
Note: The cost of construction of the courthouse was $17,500.
N – Bertie County
Photos taken 2012